Dear friends recently lost two of their beloved kitties to old age and illness. She does framing for a living (and while I normally can’t afford to hire her), she offered to frame a portrait of my dad in exchange for doing a painting of her cats. One photo, I thought was pretty good. The other was very fuzzy and from a distance, did not have great lighting and, frankly did not make the cat look very good. In any case, I did the best I could. Ironically, when all was said and done, I think I actually like the first painting the best. It is far more painterly and creative than the second cat (which obviously came to me with a clearer photo).
So, here is what I started with:
I failed to take progress shots of the first painting… sorry. But I did take a few of the second one:
I almost stopped right here. I really like it just like this. This is the first layer before I applied an alcohol wash. I’m working on Black UArt 400. It is still a bit rougher than I would like, but I love the dark surface. I’m going to order some 500 and 600 in the black and see what else I can do with it. (UArt paper, by the way is graded. The higher the # the finer the grit).
Alcohol wash on.
Beginning to define the key features… and I realize my drawing is off. The eye is in the wrong place! Out came my handy-dandy sponge brush and then the eye was gone:
I moved the eye down and to the right, just a bit. And in the picture below you can see where I brought in painting of Kitty 1 so I could start capturing some of the same colors in case the client (in this case, my friends) decide to hang them near each other.
My husband (and perhaps some of you) might say there is no green or pink in cat hair, but I see it. I’m just weird that way, I guess.