Just Over the Hill
5 X 7″ Oil
This is the smallest painting I’ve done so far. It’s only 5 X 7 inches. The photo has a little glare issue on the left hand side. I’m happy with it over all but feel like I could pick it apart now that it’s finished.
So what do I like:
- The trees. I love how the tree line came out.
- The grassy hill/field in the foreground. I guess I like the little scratched back odd grasses the best.
- The sky.
What do I not like:
- There is something wrong with the perspective in the buildings. I don’t know if my reference photo had some camera distortions or if I just don’t know how to draw anymore or if I lost a line in painting process. The initial drawing looked right.
- The barns are not bad (except for the small shed to the left as it came out too bright). But the house is very odd.
- I want more paint on this thing for some reason. The canvas is not showing, but the canvas threads/texture is evident.
So, I think I need to paint more buildings so I can practice. One thing I have not figured out is how to get a very smooth straight line. It may require more paint so I have a smooth surface on which to paint. I’ll keep practicing.